Saturday, March 5, 2011

Hijab: To wear or not to Wear

I’m not considering whether to take off my hijab or not, don’t worry. Not even close.

I questioned what open mindedness was in a past entry. I think that open mindedness is accepting how people are, and how things happen even though it might not be like what we’re used to. But morals are morals, religion is religion, and crime is still a crime.

Just when I thought I’m in an open-minded environment, somebody had to mess it up.

Exhibit 1:

“If you wear your tudung, how want to do business ah? You should take it off”…..

Wow really? Wearing hijab does not in any way hinder my ability to work, and if you are required to show how svelte your curves are at work, you might as well pay a model to do it. Then you probably should just open a modeling agency. Then I hope you go bankrupt.

As much as I wanted to tell him what bullsh** he was talking about, and that he should sod off; instead I told him, then what if somebody came and told you, if you wanna be rich, you cannot wear pants at work. He laughed and said of course la cannot. Exactly.

If you consider race, gender, academic qualifications, height and others, wearing hijab is really the least you should worry about affecting your work performance.

As Black Eyed Peas aptly puts it:

But if you only have love for your own race
Then you only leave space to discriminate
And to discriminate only generates hate

So don’t discriminate! Peace ya’ll!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...